Monday, November 12, 2007

my southern girl

I'm originally from Mississippi. I lived in a couple different parts of that state & have a real affection for it. I moved to Baltimore after college & became aware that I had an accent. My roommate, also from Mississippi, shared this accent & we were singled out on a regular basis because of this "twang" we shared. Because we lived together, it was easy to hold on to it. But Cappe moved back home before I did & I have been told since that I don't have much of a Mississippi accent. Which is fine, I don't care one way or another. But here's the thing. Somehow, my daughter has a very thick southern Mississippi accent. Much more than I EVER had. So how in the world? Are there accents in our genes? Is this something that should be researched? From the day that I heard the words "Rat thar" come out of her mouth, I have been a little shocked. It's cute, don't get me wrong....but where is it coming from?

"Where are your shoes?"

"Rat thar"

O - K?

"What color is your shirt?"

"Pa-eenk"

Excuse me?

Now, as far as I am aware, I have never spoken like this. Maybe I do, & this entire post will be filled with comments of people explaining to me that my accent is simply a blind spot & that she is talking just like her Momma. That's fine, I'm from Mississippi, I'll claim it.

I feel like she is moving away from it a bit - another little sign that she is getting bigger which tears my heart again & again. But it's good. It's a season & we're growing & that's good.

And then yesterday, we were leaving for Target & I asked L to grab her shoes so we could go.

"Where did you put your shoes, L?"

"Oh, Thar 'em are"

Nice.

I'll call Jeff Foxworthy.

No comments: