Thursday, February 9, 2012

Story Telling

I was busying myself around the house when I looked over & saw my 2 youngest 'reading' - the boy 'reading' to the girl. She was snuggled up right next to him & I grabbed my phone to snap a picture.
And then I heard those noises in my head.
The 'clicks' ..... like a shutter opening & closing.
What was that?
So familiar.....
And then it hit me like a ton of bricks....

My phone has made life speed up. Much faster than it's supposed to & much faster than I am comfortable with.
When did I settle for a phone snapshot?
When did I settle for grabbing my phone out of my pocket to just send that picture off to the facebook??
When did this happen?
Where in the world is my camera?

My camera. When I look through the lens of my camera (that I
am so unqualified to even use, by the way,) I hear stories being told.
Memories being filed away & I feel so present.
When did I start moving too fast to carry that big ol' thing around?
Well.
That stops today my friend.
No more.
No more of this phone camera picture snapping.
I'm back to the process of story telling.
Story telling is a process.
It forces a barrier between my story & theirs & gives a more clear perspective.
It's slower. It develops.

It spiritual.
Me & camera.

Because I am not thinking about fast forwarding through these years of him reading to her when he can't even read himself. It's not nearly as much fun to watch him read to her when he can actually read! I mean, LOTS of people can do that!
It's those special years when the pictures tell the story & only the one holding the book can tell you that story.
I want to know that story.
Only a few people on the planet get tickets for that show & I am one of them.

No comments: